Having very little worldly possessions is a form of freedom. I’ve lived the last 7 months with one small duffel bag and a backpack (see picture below).
In comparison to other backpackers I’m traveling extremely light. I often get the question, “Is that all you packed?”
Even if you’re not going to be leaving the country and traveling, you don’t need all the crap you currently have. Having a lot of things just means you’re going to worry about those things.
I’ve been able to live great without a ton of stuff and I will easily sustain this minimalist lifestyle for years to come.
- The apartments I’ve rented have been fully furnished.
- I can get dressed in the morning in 15 seconds because of limited options.
- I’ve been able to go out and make friends even with a limited wardrobe. In fact, I’ve seen several girls more than once and was wearing the exact same clothes and they didn’t care.
Here’s my current gear list:
- MacBook and power cord
- Canon FS-100 digital video camera (USB connector & charger)
- iPod & headphones
- Local Nokia cell phone & charger
- 3 t-shirts (1 white, 1 black, 1 greenish)
- 3 collard shirts (1 white, 1 black, 1 blue). If you’re friends with me on Facebook, how many times have you seen a picture like this tagged? The black shirt is killing it.
- 2 jackets (1 rain jacket, 1 cardigan that I rarely wear)
- 2 pairs of shorts
- 1 ‘bathing suit’ – really just small running shorts that I mostly use to protect my camera. But…
- 2 pairs of the most awesome travel underwear ever
- 1 pair of travel pants
- 1 pair of jeans
- 1 pair of Vans
- 1 pair of Adidas
- 1 pair of sandals
- A harmonica I bought in Buenos Aires
- REI pack-light, quick dry towel
- A Spanish to English dictionary
- A Nixon watch – stylish and travel durable
- Toiletries, sun screen, bug spray, etc.
All of this fits into my two bags with plenty of room to spare. I can even shove my backpack into my duffle bag if I need to. For future adventures I’m going to cut down even more.
I have lived comfortably for 7 months like this. I can pack my all possessions in one bag in under 5 minutes.
Long story short: life is a lot more simple than we make it.